Sunday, March 7, 2010

Starting seeds - 2010

I started planning the garden for 2010. I bought few seeds this year, some are generously given by Daphne's Dandelions and some seeds are from last year. Even though I don't have much growing area, but its always fun for me to see something growing. This year I have decided not to buy any transplants but plant whatever I grow from seed. I also want to keep a record of my investment. Today I have started some seeds indoors.
4 pellets each of the following Veggis/Herbs: Sweet Basil, Tomato(Red Siberian), Cherry tomato (Emma-Sungold F3), Eggplant(Little Prince), Cucumber(Bush Slicer), Early Jalapeno (Chili pepper), Cayenne pepper
4 pellets each of the following Flowers: Marigolds and Petunias.

Other than the above I will start couple of snap peas and containers of Mesclun (salad mix), baby carrots, Nasturtiums, Spinach(these are old seeds, not really counting on them) and Chard and may be some herbs.

The above may be too many plants for me to manage this year, but it also depends on the germination rate of the vegetables started. Last year I didn't have much luck with few seeds I started as I started very late in the season in Early May and didn't have much of growing season left for the transplants to grow and on top of that 2009 June was too rainy. I tried selecting some seeds which need less time to mature too. this timeSo, wish me luck with 2010 :)
Seeds from Daphne's Dandelions

No comments: